Why The List?
THE LIST 2015 includes the results of the second annual industry survey of excellent new plays by female and trans* playwrights. It is a tool for producers committed to ending the systemic underrepresentation of female and trans* playwrights in the American theater.
How We Made The List
- We surveyed 321 influential new play leaders — Artistic Directors, Literary Managers, Professors, Producers, Directors, and Dramaturgs — who had read or seen at least 40 new plays in the past year
- Each respondent recommended 3 to 5 plays each, identifying a total of 755 plays as among the best work they had encountered in the past year
- THE LIST comprises the top 7% of those plays — the 53 most recommended plays from this survey, which each received between 4 and 20 nominations
- The Honorable Mentions comprises the top 32% of nominated plays — these 186 plays each received 2 or 3 nominations
- To ensure unbiased results, responses were anonymous. All identifying information of recommenders was tracked separately from their recommendations in the survey software
- The members of The Kilroys did not nominate plays for The List
To be Eligible for The List, a Play Must be:
- unproduced or have had only a single professional production
- by an author who identifies as female or trans*
- among the most excellent seen or read by the industry professional within the previous twelve months and
- not included on last year’s list of top 46 plays
*If you’d like more information on what trans* means, here’s a great place to start: slate.me/1f7fM6R