Why The List?
THE LIST 2017 includes the results of the fourth annual industry survey of excellent un- and underproduced new plays by female and trans playwrights. It is a tool for producers committed to ending the systemic underrepresentation of female and trans playwrights in the American theater.
How We Made The 2017 List
- We surveyed 273 influential new play leaders — Artistic Directors, Literary Managers, Professors, Producers, Directors, and Dramaturgs — who had read or seen at least 40 new plays in the past year
- Each respondent recommended 3 to 5 plays each, identifying a total of 403 plays as among the best un- and underproduced work by female and trans writers of color they had encountered in the past year
- THE LIST comprises the top 9% of those plays — the 37 most recommended plays from this survey, which each received between 6 and 28 nominations
- The Honorable Mentions comprises the top 21% of nominated plays — these 49 plays each received between 3 and 5 nominations
- To ensure unbiased results, responses were anonymous. All identifying information of recommenders was tracked separately from their recommendations in the survey software
- The members of The Kilroys did not nominate plays for The List
To be Eligible for The 2017 List, a Play Must:
- have received one or no professional productions
- be written by an author who identifies as a female or trans writer of color
- be among the most excellent seen or read by the industry professional within the previous twelve months and
- not included any of the three previous Lists