Why The List?
THE LIST 2016 includes the results of the third annual industry survey of excellent unproduced new plays by female and trans* playwrights. It is a tool for producers committed to ending the systemic underrepresentation of female and trans* playwrights in the American theater.
How We Made The List
- We surveyed 230 influential new play leaders — Artistic Directors, Literary Managers, Professors, Producers, Directors, and Dramaturgs — who had read or seen at least 40 new plays in the past year
- Each respondent recommended 3 to 5 plays each, identifying a total of 569 plays as among the best unproduced work they had encountered in the past year
- THE LIST comprises the top 5.6% of those plays — the 32 most recommended plays from this survey, which each received between 5 and 14 nominations
- The Honorable Mentions comprises the top 14.4% of nominated plays — these 82 plays each received 3 or 4 nominations
- To ensure unbiased results, responses were anonymous. All identifying information of recommenders was tracked separately from their recommendations in the survey software
- The members of The Kilroys did not nominate plays for The List
To be Eligible for The 2016 List, a Play Must be:
- by an author who identifies as female or trans
- among the most excellent seen or read by the industry professional within the previous twelve months and
- not included on The List in 2014 or 2015