Why The List?
THE LIST 2019 includes the results of the fifth annual industry survey of excellent un- and underproduced new plays by woman, trans, and non-binary playwrights. It is a tool for producers committed to ending the systemic underrepresentation of woman, trans, and non-binary playwrights in the American theater.
How We Made The 2019 List
- We surveyed 315 influential new play leaders — Artistic Directors, Literary Managers, Professors, Producers, Directors, Playwrights, and Dramaturgs — who had read or seen at least 40 new plays in the past year.
- We reached out to industry professionals in every single state of the Union, and some abroad as well.
- Each respondent recommended 3 to 5 plays each, identifying a total of 803 plays as among the best un- and underproduced work by woman, trans, and non-binary writers they had encountered in the past two years.
- THE 2019 LIST comprises the top 4% of those plays — the 33 most- recommended plays from this survey, which each received between 5 and 19 nominations
- The Honorable Mentions list is comprised of the 40 plays that each received 4 nominations
- The members of The Kilroys did not nominate plays for The List
To be Eligible for The 2019 List, a Play Must:
- have received one or no professional productions
- be written by an author who identifies as a woman, trans, or nonbinary writer
- be among the most excellent seen or read by the industry professional within the previous twelve months and
- be written by an author who has never appeared on any of the previous four iterations of The Kilroys List proper (writers who had previously made the Honorable Mentions list were eligible).